Where the design community meets.
London, UK http://meet-cristian.com Joined about 9 years ago
Hey Greg, thanks for the feedback and do let me know if you have any other thoughts. I imagined this as something you can use for your big goals and important decisions, so it’s meant to stand out and make a strong impression, keep you engaged if you will. It’s not a todo app or a reminders app. But that is still an interesting point that I’ll keep in mind.
Another +1 for Notion
What I was trying to say is that there was no work to critique - 0. Now she has a few shots on dribbble but at the time her website was exclusively beautiful photos of her and no design work.
Please though, practice what you preach and tell me why you think my work is trash. It’s all here: http://meet-cristian.com
Then imagine about how you would be able to evaluate it if all you saw on my website were ads for my beard oil, blog articles and shots of my face looking cool. Then imagine other designers looked up to me and thought I’m great and they just don’t understand the reasons why yet. Would you not call me out for it?
But I’m not doing any of that, my work is public (except for this one project I can’t share with everyone).
I think it’s important you have the freedom to say this. Why do you think my work is trash?
I don’t see how my two ideas are contradicting. She shares none of her work, so it’s not an option to discuss it.
There’s a new reddit community?
I actually got banned from DN a while ago for mentioning I got banned from a slack UX community for saying Helen Tran (that popular ‘designer’ who used to have a beautiful website with photos of her in a bikini and 0 design work) is an idiot.
The mods later reversed the decision because it was a little far fetched to ban me for something I said on a different platform, but still they explained they felt my comments were a danger to the community and I need to cut it out.
The conversation started with someone saying she is a great designer and my argument was that we should expect more of the people we consider top designers (another example is Tobias van Schneider who sells anything from beard oil and pretty colours to guides to New York and stories about how awesome he is, but again almost nothing about his work), and shouldn’t just take their word for it.
I think however it’s not just moderators who try and enforce this culture of positivity or else, it’s a lot of other designers too, to the point where any negativity or criticism is seen as destructive.
This site’s motto is a literal threat. And I would argue that being able to have balanced conversations about where our industry relatively new industry is headed is crucial if we’re going to continue to be able to help solve problems and make our users’ lives easier / more enjoyable. It’s also important to be able to discuss each other’s work and ideas critically - looking back I feel like I’ve improved both because of the positive and the negative feedback I received, because I’ve been able to do more of the good and less of the bad.
So I don’t hang around here as much as I used to and I certainly don’t participate in most conversations.
Pretty cool idea. Well done.
So far I found those tools to require more work and management than the time they save you + I lose the flexibility to organise things exactly how I want.
Hey Josh, I've been using http://thenounproject.com for 80% of my icons over the past couple of years and the same icon libraries that come in one AI file for the other 20%. This means I never really needed a solution like IconJar, but from what I know there are icon library makers that are releasing libraries that are friendly with IconJar. In terms of alternatives, I know the noun project have their own asset manager called Lingo, but I never used that either.
Where the design community meets.
Designer News is a large, global community of people working or interested in design and technology.