Ask DN: What kind of insurance do you use for freelancing?

over 6 years ago from , Freelance Product Designer

Hey DN, what kinds of insurance do you use for your design freelancing? Apologies for the USA/California centric question, but I'm curious, both for myself and also putting together a list of todos for folks who are new to freelancing.


  • Duane SmithDuane Smith, over 6 years ago

    Individual "bronze" high deductible plan via healthcare.gov @ 300/mo.

    1 point
  • Joe ShoopJoe Shoop, over 6 years ago

    In WA, but for health insurance, I have a high deductible plan through the state exchange. Its $200/mo and covers an annual visit and not much else, but it'll keep me from going bankrupt if something bad happens.

    For the business, I use Hiscox, which is about $60/mo.

    1 point
  • James FutheyJames Futhey, over 6 years ago

    The state marketplaces make it way easier to "start your own business" or "start freelancing" than before.

    If you're new to freelancing, you probably don't need business insurance (yet). Would be interesting to discuss when it's appropriate to consider business liability insurance.

    0 points