I've been creating a lot of files and it is all turning into a huge pile of mess in different folders. Just wanted to know how y'all do it.
I adapted this from a Go Media blog about organizing your design files
- Client Name
- - _Assets (logos, reusable things on the client level, underscore to get it to the top of the list)
- - Rsc (photos, inspiration, on the client level)
- - Mgmnt (business docs, invoices, etc)
- - Projects
- - - Project Name (ex. 20160300transitshelter_advert) ending in 00 means it was started in March
- - - - Ind (InDesign files)
- - - - Ai (Illustrator files)
- - - - Assets (logos, files, etc)
- - - - Rsc (photos, etc
- - - - Docs (specs, documentation, etc)
- - - - Insp (inspiration)
- - - - Prf (proofs for the client)
- - - - Fnl (final version, also can contain an Fnl_Print subfolder for printer files)
- - - - _Old (keeping old things, just in case)
I basically try to keep everything, just in case. Naming is also important, I use:
I like to track versions and revisions differently.
The most important thing — find something that works for you and your setup, and stick with it!
This is fantastic!