ASK DN: How many of you practice exercises around your work life?

over 9 years ago from , Web Consultant

How’s it hanging guys?

Yesterday I had this thought and today I must ask if you guys usually practice some exercise around your work lives?

That can be, gym, running, jogging, anything that is not sitting in front of the computer or using your phone and tablet but it's also healthy for you.

I am asking this because, as a web developer, I saw myself in the past getting really used to do nothing instead of getting up and move about. I believe our work can be dangerous sometimes, specially if you are a freelancer.

So I just wanted to know how do you guys deal with this to keep both your bodies and minds healthy and also how do you picture the other designers or developer might behave in general.

Cheerio

9 comments

• Nicole FosterNicole Foster, over 9 years ago

Three times a week, I lift weights at the gym on the campus I work at and it makes a huge difference in the quality of my work. It keeps me productive, clear-headed, and more focused on what needs to get done.

1 point
    • Marcus Zanona, over 9 years ago

Excellent Nicole, it seems you are quite dedicated. I have noticed that it keeps me more productive as well and I believe that comes from the discipline we adopt while going to the gym where we have a defined amount of time to spend in there and do all we have to do for the day. So I also try to reflect that on my work as well. One good aspect that I am not sure whether psychological or not is that when talking to people, after being in this routine for a few months, somehow made me feel more confident about myself and express my opinions (specially clients). Not sure if was the same for you?

0 points
      • Nicole FosterNicole Foster, 9 years ago

I feel the same way! It might be the endorphins, but it definitely gives me confidence to speak up and share my opinions more freely.

0 points
  • Todd SielingTodd Sieling, over 9 years ago

I got into the habit of going to bed earlier so I could wake up earlier, making the time for exercise. It helped a lot because it lets me work without trying to accommodate exercise time, so I don't get conflicts with meetings and so on.

1 point
    • Marcus Zanona, over 9 years ago (edited over 9 years ago )

Hey Todd, that is a quite interesting way because I guess when it gets to, let’s say, 5PM, I would be already tired and full of excuses to not doing exercises. Besides, being an early rises may help in several other aspects since the mind is fresher. Very insightful. May I ask, what kind of exercise do you practice?

0 points
      • Todd SielingTodd Sieling, 9 years ago (edited 9 years ago )

The 5pm excuses were familiar to me, too. Also, I've grown to like being up early, but had to learn to pay for it with earlier nights.

Yoga, basic body weight resistance (pushups, pull-ups, sit-ups, all the ups), some cycling, some pilates. The yoga has the most bang for overall wellbeing.

0 points
  • Eric HaidaraEric Haidara, over 9 years ago (edited over 9 years ago )

Been trying to be good about training outside of work. So far it's very much positive, but there's a few pitfalls to avoid :) Training takes place 3 to 5 times a week, before work, for the last few months, only hitting the gym for some quick cardio exercises and very few lifts exercises for good measure. On top, I'm using my fitbit to keep me walking more and achieve my daily steps count. For the last 3 week I've added cycling (got a birthday road bike, yay), and I'm alternating cycling with the gym. Keeping the steps count on top of that.

The +: Early morning training gives the feeling that the day is well started when I start sitting in front of the computer. Less people doing it, more pleasurable, and that little extra boost that "YOU" are there,, not in bed :) Generally more fit, feeling just less guilty about the time spent with a screen. Cookie point for having a pingpong table at work > great break with colleagues, great way to move, and good tally for daily steps.

The -: I need to slow down, today I'm feeling worn out since lunch, even though I was feeling great when I got to work. Result= not a very productive day. Morning session-time needs to come from some place: either waking up earlier with bedtime that reflects that, or arriving later at work. Not always ideal/possible.

Overall: it's about balance really, both physically and mentally.

Hope this helps

0 points
    • Marcus Zanona, 9 years ago

Thanks for the thorough feedback Eric that is really helpful. I can understand how starting the day early can have both positive and negative effect in your productivity. As you mentioned, it is really all about balance. Kudos for the Fitbit idea.

0 points