Quick Survey: The Future of Designer News

over 8 years ago from Andrew Wilkinson, Publisher of Designer News

• Catalin CimpanuCatalin Cimpanu, over 8 years ago (edited over 8 years ago )

My thoughts on DN are very well known if you read my comments.

Please sink non-design related news or give moderators this power.

I want news about Photoshop, Sketch, or CSS. Not about phone updates or desktop apps that have nothing to do with "design&dev" in general.

Sorry for posting this in the thread and not in the survey, but it's very important that everyone gets this through their skull. There are hundreds of lame HN clones out there. I liked this site because it focused on design alone.

13 points
    • Drew BeckDrew Beck, over 8 years ago

but it's very important that everyone gets this through their skull

"Very important that everyone believe what I do"

42 points
    • Drew BeckDrew Beck, over 8 years ago (edited over 8 years ago )

Sorry for snarking. I value the breadth of things that show up here and don't think the balance is off. I appreciate the variety.

I'm sorry your opinion didn't make it through my skull.

26 points
    • Cristian MoiseiCristian Moisei, over 8 years ago

That's quite a unilateral view of design - there's more to it than the technical side.

16 points
    • Jacky S, over 8 years ago

I want LESS news about Photoshop, Sketch or CSS. To me, they are just tools. It would be like an architecture forum focusing on drafting tools, or a painting forum focusing on paintbrushes. Design theory like case studies are way more interesting in my opinion.

33 points
      • Ronan Flynn-CurranRonan Flynn-Curran, over 8 years ago

This.

I want to chat with and read about other designers' and their experiences. Perspectives and debates are a lot more important than the tools.

15 points
    • Ian GoodeIan Goode, over 8 years ago

I want news about Photoshop, Sketch, or CSS.

That's like an architect just wanting news about drawing boards.

7 points
      • Catalin CimpanuCatalin Cimpanu, over 8 years ago

I just mentioned a few... I would actually not like news about Sketch and Photoshop, but out of all the tools promoted here, those are actually design-related. Case studies, portfolio reviews and design experiments are my favorites as well.

0 points
    • Duke CavinskiDuke Cavinski, over 8 years ago

I kinda get what you're saying, but that's still kind of a draconian view of what design is. I think the community does a pretty good job of discussing what's important, peripherally or otherwise.

Maybe some kind of algorithm that considered discussion frequency with upvoting would help weed out things no one actually cares about.

2 points
    • Louis-André LabadieLouis-André Labadie, over 8 years ago (edited over 8 years ago )

I'm kind of sad that you give tool-specific examples.

I love seeing things about someone's odd design process, studies on psychology and human-machine interactions, design theory applied to everyday experiences, product release post-mortems (that aren't weird "we be dead" self-promotion). The design of objects – or services – can be a source of great nonstandard insight, which carries over to interface design.

Basically, design as "going from an idea to a concrete concept" is what keeps me coming back. This and great discussions.

I couldn't care less about:

• What UX actually means (this week)
      • Vacuous explanations on the latest visual trends
      • Completely technical posts (they're useful, but not news for people who design)
      • Product announcements that are just tease-pages asking for your email
      • Clickbait links
      • ^ So, most of FastCo at this point
      6 points
    • Joel CalifaJoel Califa, over 8 years ago

As a mod, I've had the ability to sink any post I see fit for a long time now, and I've yet to use it on a single thing. I think the content here is great and don't see the need to be dogmatic about the kind of content that's interesting to designers. In fact, I'd just like to scale the community in a way that keeps the content quality the way it is now.

Also more AMAs is always nice.

6 points
    • Sean HealeySean Healey, over 8 years ago

What about a content filter option? It could auto-group topics that could maybe be chosen when forming a post, and display them in a filter panel, and work like AJAX does so the page doesn't even refresh as it shows/hides posts that YOU actually want to see, this way you don't even lose your scroll position on the page. Content for you, and different content for the other commenters with opposing views, on demand at everyone's fingertips when they want it.

1 point
    • Randy HRandy H, over 8 years ago

Design is a multidisciplinary process that is informed by many things. Semiotics, culture/pop culture, language, art, psychology, neuroscience, trends, fashion, technology, music, etc can all contribute to how we design and how an audience processes our work. I want to hear about what makes a great designer great and that isn't going to be the tools that he/she is using. I enjoy seeing content that other designers find interesting, even if it isn't directly related to design. HN's policy is similar:

"On-Topic: Anything that good hackers would find interesting. That includes more than hacking and startups. If you had to reduce it to a sentence, the answer might be: anything that gratifies one's intellectual curiosity."

Breadth is important . I realize that nobody wants DN to turn into a pile of blog spam, but I think there is a happy medium. I am quite happy with the current content. It could maybe use a little tweaking in its ranking.

3 points
    • Account deleted over 8 years ago

Dude...design is communication, theory, critical thinking, ideas, typography, craft, emotion, making lives better etc...and it spans all disciplines. Design is not just the latest web framework, app, or software tool that might interest just the product, ux, and developer folk. SMH..If I could throw my 2 cents into this survey, I would ask that the "power users" filter themselves from submitting so many junk articles about "This weeks latest CSS fad".

0 points
      • Catalin CimpanuCatalin Cimpanu, over 8 years ago

You're talking out of your a$$ son! or you can't read English. That's exactly what I was saying. If you'd really look through my submitted links you'd find the most design theory links of all people around here. They all have 1 vote, so I know you haven't read them! Thanks for the personal attack though. People like you make this site what it is.

0 points